Our Life Skills Workshops are a primary way that we deliver timely and useful services to current clients of our Center. These educational experiences help participants learn coping skills for managing stress, negative moods, and relationships. During the COVID-19 pandemic our workshops are held remotely..
Please note that these workshops are open only to current clients of the Counseling Center. We also offer Outreach Programs that are intended for any member of the campus community.
More Information About the Life Skills Workshops
Each workshop lasts for approximately one hour. We currently have five workshops:
- Mind over Mood: This workshop will help participants better understand the relationship between thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. In addition, participants will be able to identify common problematic thought patterns, as well as learn concepts and skills to modify the thought patterns that cause negative moods and anxiety.
- Managing Stress: This workshop will help participants develop a better understanding of stress and the various ways it influences your mind, body, and behaviors. In addition, participants will discuss specific strategies for managing stress, as well as identify and practice mind-body techniques that are helpful in dealing with stress and anxiety.
- Time Management & Procrastination: This workshop will help participants to identify the importance of effective time management skills, as well as common obstacles to good time management. Participants will develop a deeper understanding of some of the common factors contributing to procrastination, as well as identify specific ways to manage their time more effectively.
- Introduction to Mindfulness: Mindfulness can be defined as moment to moment awareness and a process by which one develops new kinds of control and wisdom in our lives, based on our inner capacities for relaxation, paying attention, awareness, and insight. Participants will be introduced to and develop a greater understanding of mindfulness and various ways it can be beneficial. In addition, participants will identify and practice formal and informal mindfulness strategies.
- Better Sleep: This workshop will help participants develop a better understanding of the importance of good sleep. In addition, participants will be able to identify behaviors that interfere with sleep, as well as skills to improve one’s sleep.