The Georgia Tech Counseling Center (GTCC) stands in solidarity with Asian-American communities to condemn anti-Asian racism in all forms, particularly the recent rise of anti-Asian hate and hateful rhetoric in the metro Atlanta area and throughout the country. We express condolences to those affected by hate, intimidation, threats, and violence and condemn such acts. The Counseling Center continues to offer support, and we encourage students to reach out to GTCC for additional support and resources.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a peer coach! Please note that the application deadline for the next cohort of Peer Coaches is April 16th, 2021.
Each semester, the Counseling Center seeks GT students interested in becoming Peer Coaches. Peer Coaches will:
- Participate in weekly training/supervision sessions
- Upon completion of training, commit 4-5 hours of availability per week to meet with GT students who express interest in peer coaching services, attend group supervision, and participate in consultation and outreach events.
- Collaborate with fellow Peer Coaches and the Counseling Center staff to help identify campus mental health needs and create, promote, and participate in psychoeducational workshops designed to meet these needs.
Training sessions will be held on Fridays, from 3 - 4:30pm, throughout the Fall 2021 semester. Students completing the training will acquire valuable knowledge and skills, including:
- Understanding the mental health needs of university students
- Understanding the role of a university counseling center
- Cultural awareness and increased competency in interaction with a diverse community
- Communication skills
- Knowledge of basic interventions for common presenting concerns facing college students
- Ability to recognize signs of distress and make appropriate referrals
- Leadership and collaboration skills
Interested students can apply to be a Peer Coach by submitting an application and two (2) recommendation forms (please note that the attached documents are in PDF format – if you require a different format please contact the Peer Coaching Program Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org )
For additional information about the program, requirements for becoming a peer coach, or for any other questions, please contact Peter Hauge at email@example.com